Careers at iCivics
iCivics currently has 1 position open:
Who We Are
iCivics is a fast-growing civic education nonprofit located in Cambridge, MA. Founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics re-imagines civic education for American democracy. We champion equitable and non-partisan civic education, while providing engaging resources that empower educators in the critical task of preparing young people for lifelong civic engagement.
With iCivics, nearly 10 million students learn about our government, the rule of law, and civic issues. We make civic education relevant to new generations of Americans through online games and innovative classroom resources—for free. Our reach is substantial: 156,000 teachers across all 50 states are registered with iCivics. Furthermore, our games have been played by students a staggering 120 million times! Our growth continues: last year, teacher accounts and active users grew at over 27%.
What We Need
We are looking for education enthusiasts with an eye for detail and a knack for exercising new skills. Our organizational culture is shaped for those with the following traits:
- Passionately Committed: We are committed to the success of our mission to bring a high-quality civic education to every student nationwide. We believe all our work should be done with purpose and a focus to further our mission.
- Goal-Oriented: There is an urgency to our work, and we are relentless in achieving our goals. New tasks and opportunities present themselves quickly. The ideal candidate for this position will excel at self-management and delivery in achieving goals.
- Equity-Centered: We believe that equitable civic education must acknowledge students’ identities, knowledge, and lived experiences through diverse histories and a teaching of American government that is truthful and transparent. It must be inclusive, representative, and relatable across lines of race, gender, and ability.
- Collaborative: We prioritize all of our activities around what’s best for teachers and students in teaching civics knowledge and skills in a relevant, equitable, and engaging way. For this reason, we collaborate with educators, partners, students, and with each other to continue to develop and share the best educational materials.
- Friendly and accessible: At the end of the day, we are all in this together. We are friendly and accessible, so educators feel comfortable trusting and partnering with us.
iCivics is seeking a part time, contracted digital Illustrator/Artist to collaborate with our team of curriculum development professionals on a collection of illustrations that support and enhance our lesson plans, learning tools, and professional development offerings. We are looking for an initial package of approximately 150 hours of work.
iCivics is known for it’s civic-focused video games for middle and high school students, but we offer so much more through print and digital learning materials. This position might be for you if you like to draw:
- Historically accurate characters
- Diverse characters with proudly representative features
- Situational vignettes
- Icons, symbols, other “big idea” visual concepts
- Illustrations for youth media
Please look through examples of our games at www.icivics.org/games before applying. We are looking for someone who can match the games' visual artistic style, and at the same time move us forward creatively and aesthetically. When applying, include a cover letter, a resume, and a visual portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work.
- Collaborate with a small team of curriculum developers to match existing styles, and develop new visual styles as needed.
- Draw and color lesson-ready assets
- Format and deliver assets according to design specs, technical requirements, and best practices
- Maintain style consistency throughout the collection
- Illustrate slide templates for educational presentations
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven experience collaborating with clients a must, educational content providers a plus
- World-class visual portfolio
- Degree or certificate in art, digital art, or a related discipline, or comparable experience
- 3 years creating professional art
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, or other industry-standard 2D art program
- A bright, colorful, engaging aesthetic
- Strong grasp of color, form, composition, and motion
- Exceptional digital painting skills
- Experience establishing and maintaining compelling visual styles
- Experience working in established art styles and matching styles with existing art as needed
- Experience in children's media a bonus
- Self-directed and responsive
- Imaginative, innovative, and versatile
- Receptive to critical feedback
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Committed to the craft and passionate about communicating through art
Location: Flexible – iCivics’ headquarters is in Boston, but our team is located in various areas.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and visual portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org, using ILLUSTRATOR as the subject line. Qualified applicants will be asked to submit an art test.
iCivics is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. iCivics celebrates diversity in building a team and work environment that is inclusive and welcoming to all. All persons are encouraged to apply.